What is BH or Bharat series vehicle registration?
MoRTH (Ministry of Road Transport and Highways) has issued a new number series BH (Bharat) for vehicle under Central Motor Vehicles (20th Amendment) Rules, 2021. It is for those people, who has to move from one state to another in case of job transfer or for any other reason, as they face difficulties in the re-registration of their vehicle in new state. To overcome this cumbersome process, this BH series vehicle registration process has been started from 15th September 2021 across all over India. It is on voluntary basis.
Who can apply for vehicle registration under BH series ?:
- Government Employees – Defence employees, Central or State Govt. employees, PSU employees, Public sector bank employees.
- Employees of Private sector with offices in 5 or more than 5 states or UTs.
- Individuals buying new non-transport vehicles only.
Documents required to get BH series number for vehicle:
- For Government Employees, Official Identity Card has to be given to apply for BH series registration mark.
- For Private sector employees, Form 60 has to be filled to apply for BH series registration mark.
Format of BH series number and colour of BH series number plate:
The registration number will be black on white plate.
The number format of BH series will be : YY BH #### XX
|(Last two digits of the year of registration)||(Bharat Series code (2) letters as “ BH”)||(4 numerals 0001 to 9999)||Letter(s) A, B, C …and then AA,AB…..AZ, BA, BB…..to ZZ excluding ‟I‟ & „O‟ ”)|
For example, 21-BH-4444-DD is the format of BH series registration number, in which 21 is the year of first registration of vehicle, then BH indicates Bharat series, then 4-digit number followed by 2 alphabets.
Time duration of Motor vehicle tax charged for BH-series registration :
- The Motor vehicle tax will be charged for 2 years, 4 years, 6 years, 8 years, 10 years, 12 years or 14 years initially.
- After 14 years, Motor vehicle tax will be charged annually.
Cost of Road tax for BH-series registration or Motor vehicle tax for BH-series registration :
For BH-series registration, the calculation and formula of Motor vehicle tax is different from the normal one.
Road tax calculation under BH series vehicle registration:
|Invoice Price of vehicle||Motor Vehicle Tax (% of Invoice Price)|
|Below Rs. 10 Lakh||8 %|
|Rs. 10 Lakh to 20 Lakh||10 %|
|Above Rs. 20 Lakh||12 %|
Motor vehicle tax calculation or formula for BH-series registration for 2 years = Motor vehicle tax as per Invoice price of vehicle x 1.25 x 2 / 15
Rebate, discount or Extra charge on Motor vehicle tax under BH series registration:
- For Diesel vehicle – 2 % extra charge on Motor vehicle tax under BH series registration.
- For Electric vehicle – 2 % extra discount or rebate on Motor vehicle tax under BH series registration.
|Invoice Price of vehicle||Motor Vehicle Tax (% of Invoice Price)||Motor Vehicle Tax (% of Invoice Price) – Diesel Vehicles||Motor Vehicle Tax (% of Invoice Price) – Electric Vehicles|
|Below Rs. 10 Lakh||8 %||10 %||6 %|
|Rs. 10 Lakh to 20 Lakh||10 %||12 %||8 %|
|Above Rs. 20 Lakh||12 %||14 %||10 %|
How to apply for BH-series registration for new vehicle ?:
How to process for the BH-series registration for new vehicle, as this is not applicable for old vehicle at present. The registration will be done by the vehicle dealer on behalf of customer through the VAHAN portal of Govt.
Steps to apply online for BH-series registration for new vehicle:
- Form Fill-up : Form-20 will be filled online by dealer on behalf of customer in the Vahan portal, https://parivahan.gov.in
- BH-series selection : Dealer needs to select BH (Bharat) series.
- Documents upload : Dealer needs to upload the Form-60 (Private sector employees) or official working ID (Government employees) along with other relevant documents like Aadhaar, PAN etc.
- Application approval by RTO – RTO needs to approve the application of Bharat series.
- Tax payment – Pay online the required motor vehicle tax. (Initially for 2 years only. Then again has to pay tax at the interval of every 2 years till 14 years. After 14 years, MV tax needs to pay annually.)
- After this, Vahan 4 will generate the number of BH-series for your vehicle.
Disclaimer: Kindly consult official website before doing any activity